11 Sep 2022 Spanish Calamari Rice
SERVES 6-8 AS a main course
- 2 teaspoon sunflower oil
- 300g good quality sirloin
- ¼ teaspoon maldon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon light soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon sake or vodka
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped chives
- 2 teaspoons garlic, very finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger, very finely chopped
Salad ingredients (options)
- Cooked egg noodles
- Mung bean sprouts
- Julienned carrots
- Julienned cucumber
- Julienned red peppers
- Pan fried black mushrooms
- Finely chopped salad onions
- Sesame seeds
- Nuoc cham dipping sauce
for serving (see recipe)
- Marinade the beef with oil, garlic & ginger for 30 minutes or longer.
- Heat a pan until smoking hot and sear steaks on all sides until browned, about 4-5 minutes (depending on thickness) on each side (and on the fat side to render). Add the soya sauce and sake/vodka to the pan, rolling the beef through the sauce for another minute. Turn the heat off and cover with lid or foil. Rest for 3-5 minutes, covered.
- Get your salad and noodles ready. Coat cooked egg noodles with nuoc cham sauce.
- To serve, slice across the grain of the sirloin in 1cm slices and place on top of the salad ingredients.
- Drizzle pan juices over the sliced beef and top with fresh chives. Serve.
Nuoc cham dipping sauce / dressing
Tip: double the recipe!!
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 ½ tablespoon brown sugar (or palm sugar)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons light soya sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 serenade red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Tamatiestraat cheeky chilli sauce
- Mix all the ingredients together until the sugar has dissolved. Taste and adjust the balance if necessary.