28 Apr Luxury Lasagne
Posted at 08:14h in Meat Dishes, Recipes
SERVES 6-8 AS a main course
- DRIZZLE OF OLIVE OIL
- 1 LARGE (OR 2 SMALL) WHITE ONIONS
- 4 CLOVES GARLIC
- 1KG LEAN BEEF MINCE
- HERBS & SPICES
- ½ CUP FRESH BASIL, CHOPPED
- ½ CUP FRESH PARSLEY, CHOPPED
- 1 TEASPOON FENNEL SEEDS
- 1 TEASPOON DRIED OREGANO
- 1 TEASPOON MALDON SALT
- ½ TEASPOON GROUND BLACK PEPPER
- 2 x 400G CHOPPED TINNED TOMATOES
- 2 x 70G TOMATO PASTE TINS
- 1 CUP ALL GOLD TOMATO SAUCE
- 500ML CHICKEN STOCK (MADE HALF STRENGTH)
- RICOTTA “WHITE SAUCE”
- ±600G FRESH RICOTTA CHEESE
- ¼ TEASPOON GROUND NUTMEG
- ½ CUP PARMESAN CHEESE, GRATED
- 250G LASAGNA NOODLES/SHEETS
- ±400G MOZZARELLA, SLICED
- Heat a deep pan with Olive oil. In a small blender, chop the garlic and onion until a fine dice. Fry in olive oil until translucent, then add the mince. Break it up with a wooden spoon and stir continuously until ALL moisture has evaporated and meat starts frying.
- Add the Herbs & Spices and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the liquids – only HALF of the stock to start with, stir through, cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Leave to simmer for 30-40 minutes to develop a deeper flavour. Check with intervals if there is enough moisture. If needed, add more stock.
- While the meat sauce is cooking:
- Prepare the Ricotta mixture by mixing the Ricotta, Nutmeg and Parmesan cheese together. Set aside.
- Slice the Mozzarella.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C
- Also, place the lasagna sheets in a medium deep pan and cover with hot water and a dash of oil (to prevent it from sticking together. Let it stand for 20 minutes before you use it to layer the lasagna.
- Once all the elements are ready, you can start layering the lasagna in a deep rectangular oven dish.
- Layer as follows: Mince – Pasta – Ricotta – Mozzarella. Aim for 3 layers and end with mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, grilling for last 5 minutes if needed.