26 Sep 2022 My Ma Reinette se Mieliegereg
SERVES 6-8 AS a side dish
For heritage month we are paying homage to special people in our lives who taught us how to cook, who taught us to love food and those who showed us just how important it is to create memories by sharing food around a table. This recipe has become synonymys with our family gatherings. Over the years our siblings would request it when we have a family “braai” or Sunday lunch and now the grandchildren have taken over, always stating that “Ouma se mieliegereg is die beste!”. My mom cooks “op gevoel”, so pinning this recipe down has been the hardest part! May this also become a regular in your household! It is a great accompaniment to a chicken, lamb or fillet braai and is just as nice the next day as left overs.
- 2 x 410g tins sweetcorn
- 1 x 410g tin whole kernel corn, strained
- 3 heaped tablespoons cake flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Optional Asian twist:
- ½ cup chopped coriander
- 1 medium strength jalapeño chili, finely chopped
- Preheat your oven to 200°.
- Mix the sweetcorn, corn, flour, eggs and oil together to a well combined batter.
- Add the baking powder last with the salt & pepper and HALF the cheese and fold through.
- Pour into a buttered oven dish.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until set and slightly browned on top.
- Let it rest for a while before serving. The longer it stands, the more it will set.