22 Sep 2022 Peri-Peri Prawns
Serves 6-8 for a starter with bread to soak up the sauce!
- 800g Vannamei prawns*, cleaned with tail on
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Splash of white wine.
Recommendation: Leopard’s Leap Sauvignon Blanc Chardonnay Pinot Noir
- Peri-Peri sauce
- 20g fresh Coriander
- 20g fresh Basil
- Juice from 1 lemon
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ to 1 teaspoon chilli flakes (to taste)
- Salt & pepper
- Blend the ingredients for the Peri-Peri sauce together in a food processor or using a stick blender and set aside.
- Heat a pan on the fire to very hot. Add butter and oil to the pan and when melted, add the prawns and fry for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add a splash of white wine to deglaze the pan and then add the peri-peri sauce. Stir and heat through for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve the whole pan to the table with fresh bread and eat “by hand” with wild abandon! Pull the bread through the sauce and wash it down with a glass of Leopard’s Leap Sauvignon Blanc.
* Vannamei prawns has a mild-sweet flavour and is the prawns most often used in sushi. It also grills well, can be used in pastas, stir-fry or curries and is our favourite prawns to use.