13 Oct Spanish Calamari Rice
Posted at 10:48h in Fish Dishes, Meat Dishes, Recipes
SERVES 6-8 AS a main course
chopped in small cubes
- drizzle of olive oil
- 2 large red or yellow peppers, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups long grain rice (basmati)
- 2 tablespoons tamatiestraat
spanish spice (dried oregano, fine cumin, chili powder, black pepper, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, fine salt)
- liquid (check specific rice instructions)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup tomato puree
- before serving
- 200g pitted green olives, sliced
- 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 30g flat leaf parsley, chopped
- protein of choice
- 500g calamari, well dried
- (or chicken, prawns or fish)
- optional serving additions for a more mexican twist
- fresh limes
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat a medium casserole pan with the chopped chorizo and a drizzle of olive oil. When the chorizo starts to fry, add the peppers, onion and garlic and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rice to the pan and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the dried calamari and Spanish spice to the pan and fry for a further minute.
- Now add the chicken stock and tomato puree. Stir well and turn the heat up to bring the mixture to a boil. When it starts boiling, cover with a lid and reduce to a gentle simmer for 12 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid absorbed (check cooking instructions of the specific rice you are using).
- Add the olives, tomatoes and parsley and fluff rice with a fork.